If you are an affiliate marketer then perhaps you may be aware of the Amazon Associates Program, but do you know these interesting facts about Amazon?
- A person who has accessed the internet at least once in his life knows about Amazon.
- Amazon’s founder is the richest man in the world.
- Half of all web shoppers will go to Amazon to search for a product.
There are many more interesting stats about Amazon but I am not going to bore with you them. That’s not what I am here for. I am here to explore if the affiliate marketers can make money with ‘Amazon Affiliate Program’ or not. Is it a scam or people are actually making boatloads of money with it. So if you are an affiliate marketer who is seeking an answer to this question then read on.
By the way, the Amazon Affiliate Program is the other name for the Amazon Associates Program, so do not get confused if I use them interchangeably.
What is The Amazon Associates Program?
People just love buying. As mentioned above, half of all web shoppers go to Amazon. You refer to people to Amazon and if they buy something from Amazon then you earn a commission. It is as simple as that. Perhaps every affiliate marketer, novice or experienced already knows about this.
It is very popular because of its easy entry compared to all other affiliate programs. If you are a novice affiliate marketer then you might have already faced rejections from affiliate networks because you don’t have a huge traffic yet. Amazon is an exception to that. No matter how much traffic you get, as long as you fulfill the terms of services by Amazon, you can easily get in. It’s not a surprise that it is the world’s largest affiliate program and the first-ever affiliate program for novice affiliate marketers. Most of the affiliate marketers get their first commission on Amazon.
350+ million products are available on Amazon. Rest assured, you will never experience the shortage of products with amazon. Also, Amazon has multiple sites for multiple countries. Some products are available globally. With one link feature of Amazon, you can share the same product across multiple countries using the same referral URL.
How Does It Work?
It pretty much works like any other affiliate program. You simply sign up for the affiliate program by providing the details like your website, phone number, tax id, payment options etc. It is pretty straight forward. Once your profile is accepted you can create the affiliate links for the products that you wish to promote and plug those URLs in your website.
If someone clicks on those links then you get a commission from 1% to 10% depending on the product category that you are promoting.
Just remember that if someone clicks on your links then they must purchase something from amazon within 24 hrs, otherwise, you will not be eligible for the commission. This time frame is extended to 90 days if they add something to the cart within those 24 hrs.
Another important thing is that you can get a commission for things that you don’t promote too. For this to happen customer must purchase something from amazon by following your link. For e.g. you are promoting a laptop. The customer clicks on your affiliate link and purchases a television instead. You are still eligible to receive the commission for the television as long as that television set is purchased withing 24 hrs (or 90 days if it was added to cart within 24 hrs of clicking the link)
If you don’t make three sales in 180 days then your membership automatically gets canceled. You can reapply and continue again though.
How Much Can I Earn With Amazon Associates Program?
Peanuts. I can’t think of any other way to put it. You get a 1% to 10% commission depending on the product category that you select. That means you may get a commission in cents if the product is not a high-value product.
Moreover, if a customer clicks on something but purchases something after 24 hrs 00 mins 01 seconds, you will not get the commission. Below is the current commission structure as of March 14th, 2020. Click the link to get the latest commission structure.
Is It Worth It?
Damn, that’s too less. Is it even worth promoting on Amazon?- You may ask.
Well, the answer is yes. First of all, they will let you in when the other affiliate programs shut the doors for you initially. Then there are many reasons but trust is the number one reason. If a product is available on Amazon and other sites then people will prefer to purchase from Amazon even if it is a little expensive. The Amazon is highly optimized for sale. If a person with intent comes to Amazon, then very rarely he will leave without purchasing.
It is also optimized to sell more products so chances are there that people will purchase more than one item if they come to buy just one item.
Agreed, you may not earn a lot initially but as the time progresses you will keep adding more and more affiliate links to your site. More and more people will visit your website and links and you will keep earning a steady income.
Good Things About Amazon Associates Program
- Wide range of products: There are over 350+ million products on Amazon, perhaps the most compared to any other e-commerce site in the USA. You will never fall short of products to promote.
- Easy To Join: You can join it when there is absolutely no traffic to your website.
- Amazon Trust: As mentioned above people trust Amazon blindly. It increases the chances of product sales and hence your commission.
- Great Support: It is one of the best. You can get support via phone, chat or emails. Perhaps you may need to contact support initially as their policies may sound little confusing, but they do a great job in guiding you in their response.
- One Link Feature To Sell In Multiple Countries: You can link your multiple stores in multiple countries and use one link feature to promote products everywhere. You need to create a separate link for all countries. No matter where your customer is from, he will be taken to an appropriate country website if they click on your amazon affiliate link.
- Optimized For Multiple Sales: Usually, people buy more than one item on Amazon. You get a commission for all and even if they purchase something else from your link than the product you are advertising, you still get the commission. The only requirement is that the sale should happen within 24 hrs of clicking the link.
Not So Good Things About Amazon Associates Program
Well, not everything is good here 🙁 Following are some points that are not so great with Amazon
- Commissions are not great
- Short-lived cookies
- Membership expires if three sales are not made in 180 days.
Amazon Associates Program : Final Words
- Name: Amazon
- Affiliate Products Availability: 10 out of 10
- Commission: 2 out of 10
- Support: 8 out of 10
- Price: Free to join
- Overall rating: 6.6 out of 10
- Recommended: Yes but do not sweat too much.
As you can see, it is not a scam like many other affiliate programs that you may come across. It is easy to get in and can be treated as a good side income. There are people who are earning full time from Amazon Associates Program but if I were them then I will find a more profitable program and utilize that traffic to earn even more.
Absolutely no harm in getting in and keep adding products occasionally while you work on the other affiliate programs but I will not recommend this to be the full-time affiliate program.
It is absolutely fine if you don’t want to go with Amazon as there are many other rewarding programs. One program that I will highly recommend is wealthy affiliates. It not only provides you the step by step training but also offers 10 FREE extremely optimized and fast websites, Affiliate programs that you can promote and helpful community of over 2 million members.
What more? You can absolutely try it for FREE for 7 days and create 1 Free website. No credit card needed 🙂 Just click the button below, create and complete your free profile and get started. Do read my review of wealthy affiliate here.